Weekly Recap: Three Weeks until Race Day!

This was an interesting week.  I went from one end of the spectrum to the other in terms of how I felt throughout.  I ended up missing out on any real cross-training this week, but I got my runs in and I actually felt pretty good about them.  This week was pretty important to me, because with Flying Pirate weekend just 3 weeks away, I was starting to get concerned about actually making it through the full 13.1 miles.

Monday: Rest. After such a horrible run last Sunday, I wasn’t sure if I should work out or rest on Monday.  I had a lot of pain during the last 3 miles, so ultimately, I decided a recovery day would be a good idea.

Tuesday: 4 miles – It has been a couple of weeks since I have run the trail by the house, so I decided Tuesday was a good night to get back out there. I had a decent run (much better than the week before) so I was happy!

Wednesday: Rest. Again. I didn’t plan for a rest day, but by the time lunch rolled around, my head was absolutely pounding.  I ended up coming straight home from work and crawling into bed.  I slept, woke up to go eat dinner, and then slept some more.

Thursday: 4.5 miles – It was absolutely gorgeous outside, so Nathan and I decided to head up to the north end of town and run from Bur-Mil Park. I headed out toward the end of the greenway and Nathan hit Owl’s Roost trail.  I knew I wanted to run at least 4 miles, but was feeling so good that 5 wasn’t unrealistic, so when I turned around at the end I headed back down the greenway to meet up with Nathan.  I ended up finding him at just under 4 miles, so by the time we ran back to the car I ended up with 4.5. I was happy with that, especially considering how good I felt ANd that I ran every single one of my intervals (even though I was completely jealous of Nathan; I’m not running real trails again until after my next visit to my running doctor).

Friday: Normal Rest Day

Saturday: 10.3 miles – So much better than last week’s 10-miler!  I had proper nutrition and plenty of water and G2 with me this run.  I started getting tired after about 7 miles, and walked a little more than what was scheduled between miles 7 and 9.  But the last mile and half wasn’t too bad at all.  The kind of frustrating thing is that I’m pretty sure after looking at my paces from this run that this Flying Pirate is going to be my slowest half ever.  I’m heavier right now than I have been in several years and I am just not able to keep the pace I was keeping before the plantar fasciitis started. Oh well. Such is life, right?

Sunday: House Work – We’ll call this cross-training. I did a bunch of laundry, scrubbed bathrooms, organized stuff, mowed grass, bagged up a bunch of yard debris, and starting “spring cleaning” the deck.  I definitely felt it in my muscles, particularly arms and back by the end.

Spending Sunday at the house was really good for me.  I started the day with breakfast, coffee, and taxes on the deck.  The rest of the day, I didn’t even go out to the grocery store!  I’m getting ready to head out of town for a couple of days, and I just wanted to start working on getting things in order before I go. It feels good to have accomplished so much in one day. Of course, I keep looking around the house now and thinking, “Oh, I should have done that, too.” Next weekend is looking pretty busy, but the weekend after I should be able to get in another full day like that.  I just have to work on maintaining what I started in the meantime. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s